- 1 sweet potato
- 3 cups whole wheat macaroni
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cheddar, grated
- ½ cup parmesan, grated
- 1 cup frozen peas
- pepper to taste
Prep and Cook
- Wrap sweet potato in foil and bake at 400 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes, until soft.
- Place noodles in boiling water and cook according to package instructions, about 8 minutes.
- Slice open the sweet potato and scoop out the flesh. Puree with a splash of water until smooth (should yield about 1 cup).
- In a heavy bottomed pan, melt butter over medium heat. Sprinkle flour over melted butter and stir. Cook for about 1 minute, stirring. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly.
- Once all the milk is added and the sauce is beginning to thicken, add the grated cheese. Mix until the cheese is melted. Add the sweet potato puree and stir until well combined.
- Taste the sauce before adding pepper.
- For the last 2 minutes of the pasta’s cooking time, add the frozen peas.
- Drain pasta and peas and put back in the pot.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta and stir well.